Marie Antoinette loved perfumes. She not only dabbled perfumes on her person, but ordered perfumed gloves for her hands, perfumed satchets for her rooms and even her baths. Her love of fine scents was probably influenced by the fact that 18th century Versailles was a smorgasbord of smells--both wonderful and worrisome, due to the amount of people (and animals!) frequenting Versailles at any given time. To escape these overwhelming smells, Marie Antoinette not only filled her rooms with fresh blossoms, but also used perfumed products to keep herself--and her apartments--scented to her liking. She was particularly fond of floral scents, such as those which included notes of violet, rose, tuberose and orange blossom.
While none of Marie Antoinette's beloved perfumes are in production today, her influence can still be found in many modern perfumes. The following are five irresistible perfumes inspired by Marie Antoinette, her favorite scents, and her beloved Trianon retreats. Why not order some samples, dab on a luxurious scent, and imagine yourself in the company of the famous queen of France?
DSH Perfumes: Eau de Trianon
DSH's Eau de Trianon (available as an eau de toilette and a perfume) is inspired by the notes from one of Marie Antoinette's favored perfumes created by the famous Jean-Louis Fargeon. It contains notes of rose de mai, tuberose, jasmine with additional floral, green and woodsy scents. Eau de Trianon is a soft, creamy floral with a wistfulness to it that makes me think of a solitary stroll in an open garden--elegant but still springlike and never too cloying.
- Top Notes: Bergamot, Espirit de Fleurs d’Orange, Galbanum, Lemon
- Middle notes: Centifolia Rose Absolute, Gallica Rose Otto, Grandiflorum Jasmine, Jonquil, Moroccan Rose Absolute, Orris Concrete, Orris Root, Tuberose Absolute, Violet Leaf Absolute
- Base notes: Ambergris, Atlas Cedarwood, Siam Benzoin, Vanilla Absolute
Historiae: Bouquet du Trianon
Historiae's Hameau de la Reine, also created by Bertrand Duchaufour, is described by Historiae as taking the wearer to the "heart of the Queen's Hameau." The scent includes bright green notes of tomato and fig leaf along with traditional florals like rose and peony. Hameau de la Reine truly feels like a walk through a hamlet, with a natural woodsy scent that is soft enough to let the underlying flowers to shine through like fragrant ivy climbing up a cottage.
Lubin: Black Jade
Historiae's Bouquet du Trianon, created by Bertrand Duchaufour, is a "bouquet" of Marie Antoinette's favored scents. Like her beloved Petit Trianon, the Bouquet du Trianon scent is a blend of various flowers and natural scents, including tuberose, rose and lemon. Bouquet du Trianon is a noticeably layered scent that is very reminiscent of a walk through an English country estate--it begins with a bright and fresh meadow-like scent, gradually blossoms into a country garden, before ending on a wispy note of natural woods.
- Top notes: lemon, bergamot, mandarin, galbanum, mint, freesia, blackcurrant bush leaf
- Middle notes: tuberose absolute, ylang ylang, beeswax absolute, rose, honeysuckle
- Background notes: vetiver, patchouli, amber, musk, sandalwood, cedarwood
Historiae: Hameau de la Reine
- Top notes: bergamot, blackcurrant bud, tomato leaf, fig leaf
- Middle notes: rose, galbanum, peony, geranium, mock orange, ivy
- Background: notes: vetiver, patchouli, white wood, musk, honey
Lubin: Black Jade
Lubin's Black Jade comes with a colorful--if dubious--history, which can be read here for those interested. Regardless of the truth behind its origins, Black Jade is a perfume rich in extravagant florals preferred by Marie Antoinette--roses and jasmine mingle with warm vanilla and cinnamon, creating a luxurious feminine floral that is perfect for evening wear and other formal events.
- Notes: Galbanum, bergamot, cardamom, rose, jasmine, incense, cinnamon, Indian sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, tonka bean, amber
L'Artisan Parfumeur: La Haie Fleurie du Hameau
L'Artisan Parfumeur's La Haie Fleurie du Hameau, created by Jean-Claude Ellena, is inspired by the flowers which bloom at Marie Antoinette's beloved hamlet. La Haie Fleurie du Hameau is a true floral bouquet which with vivid notes of jasmine and honeysuckle. The perfume is rich in floral notes but still remains light; the effect is reminiscent of a garden stroll through the Petit Trianon on a breezy spring day.
- Notes: jasmine, orange blossom, narcissus, ylang-ylang, honeysuckle, vanilla and oakmoss.
Post a Comment